About Ganaraska Conservation
The Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority’s overall goal is the conservation, restoration, development and management of natural resources on a watershed basis, while providing for the public enjoyment of the lands it oversees.
The Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority (GRCA), also known as Ganaraska Conservation, was formed in October 1946 under the Conservation Authorities Act and is one of the oldest conservation authorities in Ontario. The GRCA’s overall goal is the conservation, restoration, development and management of natural resources on a watershed basis, while providing for the public enjoyment of the lands it oversees.
The watersheds of the GRCA cover an area of approximately 935 square-kilometres, from Wilmot Creek in Clarington to east of Cobourg, from the south shore of Rice Lake down to Lake Ontario. This area includes seven municipalities in whole or in part: Township of Cavan Monaghan, Town of Cobourg, Township of Alnwick / Haldimand, Township of Hamilton, Municipality of Port Hope, City of Kawartha Lakes, Municipality of Clarington.
The Ganaraska Forest is the largest block of continuous forest in Southern Ontario, it is a huge expanse of 11,000 acres, representing one of the most successful conservation projects ever undertaken in Central Canada.
Additional Historical Events
Interesting Reading Material
- Arthur Herbert Richardson. 1974. Conservation by the People: The History of the Conservation Movement in Ontario to 1970. University Toronto Press
- Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority. 1981. 35 Years of Watershed Management. Port Hope, ON
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. 1986. Evergreen Challenge: The Agreement Forest Story. Toronto, ON